PAST CONTINUOUS

USE: We use PAST CONTINUOUS to talk about something which is in progress in the past time. The action or situation had started but it had not finished at that time.

Example:

- I saw you were waiting for the train this morning.

- Last week this time, I was driving a car.

- Yesterday evening, they were playing tennis.

FORMULA

Positive Sentence:

Subject + was/were + verb-ing + object/complement

Example:

- I was reading my lesson at 9 o’clock last night.

- They were doing exercise this morning.

- Sophy was writing a letter to her friend at 10 a.m.

Negative Sentence:

Sub + was/were + not + verb-ing + obj/comp

Example:

- Yesterday morning, I was not cleaning my clothes.

- Last night this time, Dany was not sleeping.

- You were not doing your homework at 8 o’clock last night.

Question:

Was/Were + sub + verb-ing + obj/comp ?

Example:

- Where were you going yesterday morning?

- Were you watching TV this evening?

- What were you doing at 11 o’clock this afternoon?